- Diplomatic status:unofficial relations
- Official Language:English
- Government Type:semi-presidential republic
- Embassies and Missions:Taipei Liaison Office in the Republic of South Africa Overseas
- Compatriot Association:Taiwanese Chamber of Commerce in Tanzania
Tanzania, officially the United Republic of Tanzania, is an east African country situated just south of the Equator and became an independent nation in 1964.
The Tanzanian economy is overwhelmingly agrarian. Some two-fifths of the country’s population is engaged in agricultural production. Coffee and cotton are by far the most important in this respect.
Approximately 68 percent of the population lives below the international poverty line. Only 15 percent of Tanzanians had access to electric power. Gold is an important resource and the country’s most valuable export.