- Diplomatic status:unofficial relations
- Official Language:French and English
- Government Type:presidential republic
- Embassies and Missions:Taipei Trade Office in the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Taipei Representative Office in France and Taipei Representative Office in the EU and Belgium
- Overseas Compatriot Association:Taiwanese Chamber of Commerce in Cameroon
Cameroon, officially the Republic of Cameroon, is a country lying at the junction of western and central Africa and became an independent nation in 1961. Approximately one third of the population lives below the international poverty line.
Cameroon possesses substantial mineral resources, but these are not extensively mined. An estimated 70% of the population is still peasants. Much of the country still remains without reliable power supplies. Cameroon has been following programs advocated by the World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) to reduce poverty, privatize industries, and increase economic growth. The country has generally enjoyed stability, which has enabled the development of agriculture, roads, and railways, as well as a petroleum industry.